If you buy natural and organic beauty products, have attended a yoga class or massage session, or purchased a soothing air freshener, chances are you?ve already experienced first-hand the healing and calming effects of essential oils, which can be found in all of these scenarios. Most of us associate the term ?essential oils? with aromatherapy, the art and practice of utilizing natural plant extracts in a variety of ways to soothe the body and mind. However, it is a little known fact that when you use essential oils, they offer extensive benefits outside of cosmetic or physiological purposes. In fact, you?ll be shocked (and pleased!) to find that you can use essential oils in almost every single aspect of daily life! Read on to discover all of the hidden treasures that come with essential oil use:
Use Essential Oils in the Household:
- Oils such as tea tree oil and lemongrass can be mixed with a few ounces of warm water and quickly turned into an all-purpose surface cleaner!
- Add approximately 10 drops of your favorite smelling essential oil to your load of laundry and be amazed at the fresh and long-lasting scent that follows.
- Got kids with sweaty sports gear? Add two drops of tea tree oil and lemon essential oil to a quart of warm water, along with four tablespoons of baking soda and mix together. Dip a rag into the mixture and use it to clean out sweaty shoes or gym clothes – no more locker room smell in the house!
- Add four drops of eucalyptus essential oil and tea tree oil to a 16-oz spray bottle along with warm water and spray onto your shower curtain. Watch as shower scum evaporates in front of your eyes!
- Toss some raw honey, coconut flour, organic eggs and lavender essential oil into a mixing bowl and bake at 350 degrees for a delicious smelling (and tasting!) homemade cake.
Use Essential Oils for a Homemade Spa Day
- Mixing coconut oil and shea butter together makes for a hydrating and silky-smooth body moisturizer that can be applied anywhere on the body without harm or reaction.
- Combining coconut oil, beeswax and lavender oil together will produce a healing and refreshing lip balm to relieve dry and chapped lip skin.
- A few drops of lemon or eucalyptus oil into a large bowl of warm or hot water will make for a relaxing foot spa soak.
- In need of quick, immediate relaxation? Add a couple drops of chamomile, lavender, or peppermint oil to your temples and massage thoroughly. You?ll be amazed at their cooling effect and how quickly you?ll be able to slow things down and breathe more deeply.
- Kick insomnia in the butt by sprinkling a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow at night; one of its strongest healing properties is for fighting sleeplessness.
Use Essential Oils in All-Natural Medications
- Got a cough or sinus congestion that you just can?t kick? Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a steaming hot water diffuser and inhale – nasal passages cleared!
- Lavender oil mixed with aloe vera can heal burns and reduce their painful side effects.
- Essential oils can even be used to treat deep skin bruises – just add five drops of lavender and five drops of frankincense to 4 oz of hot water and soak, then apply a wet rag to the affected area.
- Got that terrible habit of grinding your teeth in your sleep? Massage a couple drops of lavender oil where the ears meet the jawline and notice the healing effects on your sleeping behaviors.
- 1-3 drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, or lavender oil can be applied to a cool cloth and sponged over the body to reduce fever.
- Kids come home from school with the dreaded lice? No worries – mix three drops of thyme, lavender, and eucalyptus oil with unscented oil and apply to the scalp. Cover the head with a shower cap and wash out after 30 minutes, followed by a thorough shampoo. Voila!
While aromatherapy is probably the most common use for essential oils in modern day life, the healing properties of these oils in all areas of life have been around for thousands of years. Now that you know how to use them, you?ll never have to worry again about what?s actually inside the products, cosmetics, or medications you consume, and you?ll get to sit back, relax, and watch the numerous benefits that just a couple essential oils can have in your life.