Keeping the hair healthy, strong and thick can be difficult as we age. Luckily, there are many essential oils for hair growth. Essential oils are an affordable and safer alternative to conventional hair products. Plus, they’re just as effective! You can even use them to improve the general health of your hair follicles!
Top 19 Essential Oils for Hair Growth Stimulation
1. Carrot Seed Oil | Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Carrot seed oil is a great tonic for the skin. This natural substance is also very nutritious for your hair and scalp. It comes from the plant and, in some cases, the seed of wild carrots. Carrot seed oil is a natural source of vitamin A, beta-carotene and vitamin E that can encourage dry scalps to produce sebum.
- Apply it onto dry scalps to achieve healthier hair.
- Use it two or more times a week to promote healthier and shinier hair.
2. Castor Oil?| Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Castor oil is generally well-known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. However, when it comes to hair, it also can be used for growth and thickness. Clearing pores and improving blood circulation on the hair scalp are some of the additional benefits of using castor oil. The oil also removes bacteria and irritants present on the scalp. It contains omega-9 and omega-6 fatty acids as well as ricinoleic acid that may help reduce dandruff.
- Massage onto the scalp before washing hair.
- Rinse with a mild shampoo or your favorite conditioner.
3. Cedar Wood Oil?| Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Treating thinning hair and various types of alopecia are often associated with the use of cedarwood oil. By stimulating and increasing circulation to the scalp, growth in hair follicles increases. This oil also works well with lavender oil and carrier oils like coconut oil.
- Apply it topically to the scalp and hair daily.
- You can add 2-3 drops of the essential oil for hair growth onto your preferred conditioner.
4. Chamomile Oil |?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Chamomile oil caters to the irritated and dry scalp. This substance may add shine and softness to your hair when used. It is also a natural hair lightener! Hair lice and dandruff may be naturally treated with chamomile oil. The oil works mainly by retaining the moisture level within the hair and scalp, thus strengthening the hair from inside. Regular use may promote healthier, soft and strong tresses when used continuously.
- Use a few drops and apply directly to the scalp.
- Use as often as needed or together with your preferred conditioner.
5. Clary Sage Oil |?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Premature balding may be organically reversed and prevented by using clary sage essential oil. Its phytoestrogen content is known to be the main contributor that helps in promoting growth onto the hair scalp. Oil production may also increase by applying the essential oil to the scalp.
This essential oil for hair growth is best for dry and oily scalps. It is also perfect for easily managing curly or frizzy hair. This may help boost hair growth and will leave your hair shiny and soft.
- Mix clary sage oil with jojoba oil before applying the mixture to the scalp.
- Wash with clean water. Repeat as necessary.
6. Cypress Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
17 Remarkable Uses for Cypress Essential Oil https://t.co/sDK5nNQFQI
? Organic Daily Post (@organicdailypst) June 5, 2017
Promoting blood circulation in the scalp can be best addressed with cypress oil. As a substance, it is?used in many hair formulas to improve capillary strength in the hair and increase blood circulation. Hair strands grow longer and stronger if blood circulates well to the hair follicles. Use this essential oil for hair growth to address weak hair strands.
- Apply on hair strands and scalp.
- Leave it for half an hour.
- Rinse with a gentle shampoo.
7. Helichrysum Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Helichrysum essential oils are well-known for their medicinal properties and as natural hair growth stimulants. People who used this essential oil claimed that after just a few weeks of use, you notice your hair growing faster. Nutrient flow in the hair follicles also improves.
- To maintain a healthy scalp and regular sebum production, apply a few drops of helichrysum oil directly to the scalp.
8. Horsetail Plant Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Scary but true, dandruff can lead to hair loss! You may be able to control dandruff and promote stronger hair strands by applying a mixture of horsetail plant oil and extra virgin olive oil to the scalp. Horsetail extract oil may also help in creating a healthy environment for hair growth. The oil is known to contain silica that helps treat split ends, promote stronger hair, and help you grow healthier nails.
- Apply a few drops of the oil on the scalp as well as the hair strands.
- Leave for an hour before rinsing with a mild conditioner.
9. Lavender Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
A lot of studies conducted with lavender oil hypothesized its capabilities for boosting hair growth. Lavender oil has properties that can reach deep into the hair follicles and help in thickening the thermal layer of the scalp. It contains antimicrobial properties that can soothe and treat dry scalp. Emotional stress may also contribute to hair loss, and lavender oil is said to possess a soothing and relaxing aroma perfect to reduce stress.
- Apply 5-10 drops of the oil directly on the scalp.
- Wash with clean water or with a mild shampoo.
10. Lemon Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Lemon oil comes from its peel. It has a wonderful, fruity and zesty aroma that is good not only for the hair, but a person?s overall health. Severe scalp conditions like dandruff and scalp acne can be naturally treated with lemon oil. The oil contains hair nourishing nutrients that function as a clarifying and moisturizing compound. Lemon oil is ideal for transforming an oily scalp into a healthy one.?Take note that lemon oil is phototoxic, so it is not advisable to use when you are constantly exposed to the sun.
- Apply it directly to the hair of mix it together with water used to rinse your hair.
11. Lemongrass Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Lemongrass oil is advisable for the itchy and irritated scalp. It is known to have healing effects and works as a perfect cleanser and deodorizer. It may also offer strengthening and soothing effect to the hair follicles, which may promote removal of dandruff in a week or even less.
- Add 10 drops or more of lemongrass oil to a bottle of your favorite shampoo or conditioner for daily use.
- Another option is to massage it directly into your scalp alongside with your daily hair conditioner.
12. Patchouli Essential Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
? The Bohemia Boutique (@TheBohemiaBTQ) June 2, 2017
Patchouli oil, an exotic essential oil, has a deep and powerful aroma. Used in perfumes, this essential oil for hair growth also comes with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that are known to treat scalp itching, acne, and dandruff.
- Massage into the scalp before or together with your hair conditioner.
- Leave it for an hour or two before shampooing out.
- Add a few drops of lemon or lavender oil to your final rinse to mask the patchouli scent.
13. Peppermint Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Peppermint oil may help promote hair growth as well as improve digestion. It is known to create an invigorating sensation when applied to the scalp.
- Mix a few drops together with a gentle shampoo or with your moisturizing conditioner for daily use.
14. Rosemary Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Rosemary oil is one of the top natural oils that is known to promote hair growth. This essential oil for hair growth may help promote increased cellular metabolism. It may also aid?in addressing hair breakage, another common cause of hair thinning and hair loss. In addition, rosemary oil helps to prevent baldness, slow the graying process of hair, and can treat dandruff and dry scalp.
- Apply to the scalp in a rubbing motion.
- Leave for an hour before rinsing with water.
15. Tea Tree Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Top five amazing health benefits of tea tree oil https://t.co/d093vX5gGU
? Shop GMO-Free UK (@ShopGMOFreeUK) May 27, 2017
Tea tree essential oil is a common ingredient used in many dandruff-treating products. It is said to have moisturizing properties perfect for relieving the scalp from itchiness and dryness. Tea tree oil can work deeper into the hair follicles and unclogs them to promote a healthy production of sebum on the scalp.
The oil comes with a fresh aroma and can offer a rejuvenating experience while in use. But be careful! Tea tree essential oils can sometimes be harsh for sensitive skin. Do a patch test prior to use to avoid any complications.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a teaspoon of carrier oil before application.
- Wash with water and a mild shampoo.
16. Thyme Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Increasing the blood flow in the scalp can promote hair growth. Blood flow is known to rejuvenate the hair follicles, and as a result, the hair grows faster and stronger. Thyme oil is a common ingredient used in hair loss care products.
- Use in moderation, because it is one of the tougher essential oils included in this list.
- Mix 2 drops of thyme oil together with 5 drops of lavender before applying it onto the scalp for a more soothing effect.
17. Vetiver Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
The Health Benefits Of Vetiver Oil https://t.co/o3v4zTC8YQ
? Damion Hinds (@damionhinds) June 4, 2017
Excessive body heat is a less-known reason behind hair loss. For this concern, vetiver oil is a popular choice, as it produces a cooling effect when applied to the hair scalp. It is a sweet-smelling oil that may prevent graying and premature balding. Vetiver oil is known to be an excellent antioxidant for the hair follicles and reverses free radical damage.
- Mix 5-6 drops of vetiver oil together with warm almond oil and massage into the scalp.
- Leave overnight prior to rinsing for best results.
18. Ylang Ylang Oil?|?Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Insufficient sebum production in the scalp can cause itching and dandruff. You can prevent this by using ylang-ylang oil. This essential oil has stimulating properties that are known to invigorate the sebaceous glands and increases sebum production.
Hormonal imbalance due to stress can be a reason behind thinning hair. Ylang ylang essential oils are also known as stress-reducers and may address this problem. Many believe that it is also an effective head lice treatment and a safer alternative compared to pesticide-based formulations.
- Massage directly on the scalp or mix together with your favorite conditioner.
- Leave for 15 minutes and then rinse with water.
19. Coconut Oil?| Carrier Oils for Hair Growth
Hair damage is another reason behind hair thinning. You can prevent damage and protect hair roots by applying coconut oil to the scalp. This?is a soothing and moisturizing essential oil that has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Coconut oils contain vitamin E, vitamin K and iron that improves hair moisture. The oil has protective properties that may also prevent dryness and help in eliminating dandruff and lice from the scalp.
- Mix together with your favorite hair conditioner or apply directly onto the scalp.
- Use as carrier oil and mix together with an essential oil of choice.
Discover more about essential oils for hair growth in this video:
Using these oils that promote hair growth is a safer alternative in achieving healthier, thicker and stronger locks. Regular use does not pose any harmful side-effect, since they are purely natural and organic. Essential oils for hair growth are affordable and accessible solutions in addressing any hair issues effectively!
Treated a hair problem with one of the essential oils from our list? Share your experience in our comments section!